Monday, October 29, 2012

2 years 3 months


Little d at 27 months...

Is (at least for now) a kinetic learner, meaning he is very tactile and enjoys doing things with his hands. Which is funny to me since it makes me think about how when he was a baby he NEVER put anything in his mouth, it must have been because he wanted his hands to be holding, handling, exploring toys and things instead. We already knew he had extremely mind boggling hand eye coordination when it comes to sports, but he is pretty good with play doh and painting as well, when he puts his mind to it. He still pretty much refuses to use crayons but will use markers in a heartbeat. He loves opening pistachios and recently started opening his own clementines.

Could probably have PBS on 24/7 in the background while playing if it was nothing but Cat in the Hat, Curious George, and Wild Kratts. He will watch an episode of CG, maybe two, but then grows bored and wants to shoot hoops, jump on a trampoline, etc. Blue's Clues may be a thing of the past since they (gasp!) no longer have episodes for free on demand. Whomp whomp. Not to mention we won't have a TV once we move anyway, so that may be an adjustment.

Is still in his crib and has made no attempt to get out. He has a pile of stuffed animals, untouched on one end of the crib, then he sleeps snuggled on his stomach on the other side with his two puppies (usually wrapped per request in receiving blankets) and occasionally Daddy bear if the Mr. is out of town. Our bedtime routine consists of brushing teeth, me reading him a book and then he "reading" me the same back to me. I put him in his crib and he is covered with at least two blankets, and I rub his back while we say prayers. He still cries when I leave the room but at least it lasts less than 10 minutes. It is my favorite time of day to be with him other than first thing in the morning because he is always sweet and wants to hold my hand, rub my belly, give me extra hugs and kisses.... the boy loves his bedtime routine and I love being part of it with him. I think we will probably transition him to a toddler bed whenever we move. More on that later.

extremely adept at all things electronic. Most of you already know he is extremely good at the ipad and my iphone (as evidenced by how he was able to show all the other children how to work theirs at the apple store earlier this month). But what you may not know is that he went on my computer for the first unsupervised time ever and I had my itunes open, sure enough he clicked on the file with his name on it and proudly showed it to me. We have been watching a lot of baby movies of him lately and he loves watching "baby dust" (especially when it involves uncle DK).

enjoys sequencing: listing out all the things we did or are about to do for me (something I probably do too often for him), although he will randomly sprinkle things in like "eat cookies and ice cream" or "go mini golfing". It is terribly endearing. He throws fits when we don't do things he wants to do, but I'm slowly figuring out ways to distract him and minimize the craziness, and play doh is almost always a winner.

says some of the funniest things: he says "sorry" a lot, mostly when he gets told off, but also when he thinks someone is in the wrong, not necessarily him (including when someone beeps their horn), "stop doing that", "hold on", "don't say that" (mostly to Mr. D when he makes noises or says a word in a silly way, which he does all the time), "oh, silly Kevin!" (or whoever he is talking about, sometimes himself), "I not like that", "I full" (when he is done with anything, food or otherwise).

is still so in love with "his brother." We look for Kevs every time we come home, and little d never fails to "help" Kevs into the house by picking him up, hugging him, or otherwise smothering him with love. Thankfully the amount of dead animals being brought into our home has drastically declined to ZERO (hopefully due to the colder weather, knock on wood it stays that way) so I'm okay with the Kevin snuggling.

loves to snuggle with me in my bed, and has gotten into the habit of asking me first thing in the morning, and right after he wakes up from his nap, "are you tired? I watch george, mommy take a nap?"

has gotten into football watching, and loves to shout "lets go patriots!" "come on cougars!" "oh COME ON, Tom Brady!", etc at random.

adores his dad, and similar to brother kevs, is always asking where daddy is. He knows if daddy is at work he is either upstairs (and he needs to ask "are you busy?" before walking into the room), on a plane, or out in a car.

still loves singing and will randomly break into song or humming, especially when he is eating or doing art of some sort. Usually songs we learn from Music Makers, but some other ones as well.

he knows the names of all our neighbors and addresses them whenever he sees them. Unfortunately a few of them are elderly and can't hear him, and he just keeps hollering till he gets some sort of response.

is loving halloween and autumn. Comments on the colors of the leaves and how some trees are "naked", or how nice/cold/windy/rainy the weather is. LOVES all the spiderwebs (we pass by three homes covered in them in the seven minute drive to the gym), skeletons, etc. Has a full understanding of what trick or treat entails and is way too excited to ring doorbells and holler at strangers in exchange for candy.

When anna came to visit he loved explaining how each sport works to her. for example, football "they say hike, and then THROW, and then CATCH and the football guy throw in the TOUCHDOOOOOWN!"

Time out has turned into calm down time, thanks to Hillary for the idea. I can usually sway him into not doing something bad (hitting, kicking, disobeying in general) if I mention the idea of a time out. ("If you keep hitting that table/you need to say you're sorry or else you will get a time out") and that is usually enough to avert him from the situation. When he has a meltdown however it is a different story. I love what Naomi had to say about how most kids during a meltdown just need some comfort. I never thought of it that way, and have been trying to see meltdowns as just that... devastation in realizing that the world does not in fact revolve around you, and that being a sad thing. Enter the calm down chair (same idea as time out, but used more for taking a chill pill than being an actual punishment). It has been working out for us discipline wise for a few days so we will see how it translates once we make it back to Boston.

Also this morning little d decided not to grace us with his presence till 8am. EIGHT O CLOCK IN THE MORNING. Miracles happen, even if only once in a lifetime (pretty literally, for this kid since I think he has done that maybe twice in his whole life!). We will certainly be celebrating and I have been making a big deal of it all day... next month we may be transitioning to a big boy bed so we shall see how that wreaks havock on his sleeping. :)

I think I have said it and I will continue to say it till it no longer stands as true... they may call it the terrible twos for the sake of the tantrums, but the love he so freely shares in the forms of kisses, puppy licks, hugs, and overal sweetness far outweighs that and two has been my favorite year (granted there are only two to choose from, but still) by far. Good work, little kid. You are well on your way to being an awesome big brother.

1 comment:

Sarah Elizabeth Kron said...

ahh I LOVE AND MISS HIM SO MUCH! and the rest of you too!!

ps...where are the belly pic updates?? you are not allowed to slack on those just because you've already had one baby (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...