Saturday, September 15, 2012

7 years after our first date

While I feel like I have done a pretty good job recording and remembering to basic details of our relationship, this year I wanted to do something different. I wanted to really make sure I remembered so that my children would know how I felt.

Those first few meetings, that first date, was all nerves for me. He was too perfect, too sweet, too charming. If it felt like half our ward wanted to date him it was only because half our ward was female. I kept pinching myself on that date to the library, thinking you better stop liking him so much since once he lands a girlfriend he won't have time for friends that are girls. It was hard to deny I was falling for him. Hard.

Every day we spent together those first precious weeks, I would go back to in a heartbeat because in those long hours of deep talks, I realized beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was desperately in love with this man. I am sure we went to classes and did homework but in my minds eye, for those few weeks the world revolved around only us. I don't remember too many specifics worth sharing anymore, but I could not deny how I felt and it terrified me. I had never in my life felt that way about someone.

What followed was a whirlwind of sporting events, intramurals, homework, classes, deciding on majors, nights in watching movies (and making out), and most importantly, doing everything together. Such a unique and wonderful time of our life I will always look back on with fondness.

The day he proposed was the most anxiety inducing evening of my life. I was so afraid he would change his mind about wanting to marry me. When we were picking out my ring, I tried telling him I didn't want one. He didn't believe me so I told him I wanted something with the smallest diamonds possible, because I knew how hard he worked and how much he loved saving money and I wanted him to be happy with me. He wanted to ensure I would have something I would love to wear and I got it... I believe the longest it has been away from my finger was the week I had little d and was so pumped full of fluids, my fingers resembled sausages. I am not shy to admit I did not like the engagement part of our courtship, I felt extremely stressed out with school and wedding planning and making both our families happy but at least there was a light at the end of the longest tunnel of my life... April 28, 2006.

I wish I remembered more about our wedding day, but most of what I do remember comes from the photos we took. I remember thinking after that lovely sweet an simple ceremony, that's it? With just a few words, just like that, he's mine forever?

The day we found out little d was a boy, I don't think I could have braced myself for his response. There are a few times I have seen such complete unadulterated happiness emanate from his face without filter, and that was one of those times I have been graced with that privilege. I was hoping one of those times would be at the birth of said child, but we all know how crazy an scary that was. I don't want a perfect labor and delivery this time around, all I want is to see the look on my husbands face when he holds our sweet second child for the first time and have it be one of those unfiltered looks I can treasure forever.

The last event was more drawn out than all the rest... Training for my marathon and mr. D's first few months of work, traveling every week. I'd be lying if I said a lot of tears were not shed and it was an incredibly emotional time of my life. I would have loved to run through the finish line into his arms, but I suppose that will have to wait for a much smaller marathon than boston. :) just the fact that he was able to get me into the marathon and encouraged me to follow a crazy dream I was never quite sure I would ever do, then drag little d and the rest of my family all over the greater Boston area just to catch little glimpses of me running what will hopefully be my slowest marathon ever. :)

All in all, I thought I was pretty in love with mr. D when I first started getting to know him. Husbandhood, fatherhood, and #1 supporter of every crazy thing I want to do has really made that love explode to a million billion pieces I never could have fathomed existed. I am so grateful I accepted that invitation to the library to study seven years ago. Everything good in my life since then has come as a direct result of that decision.

I saw a necklace in French that ha the saying "I love you more than yesterday but less than tomorrow." I feel that is more true with every passing day! We will spend the day apple picking with the little one and enjoying a date night with a brownie a la mode (although pregnant girl that I am, I still hate ice cream so I'll stick to the brownie this time!), our first shared treat of many.

Happy 7 years indeed.
first halloween... he looked much better in my clothes than I did in his!
one of my all time favorite shots of us
first pic together...post my first intramural soccer watching
october 2005... pats @ broncos
he loves me even with all my crazy hair cuts and colors
second photo together at a BYU game
I miss his long hair :)

5 comments:

Missy said...

This is so sweet and yall are adorable together! Happy Anniversary!

anna. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anna. said...

(obligatory little sister grossed out comment)

( :

Eric and Andrea said...

Oh my gosh you guys are so cute. I miss you both, Seriously. Someday, sometime, we'll need to meet up in person and really catch up for old times sake.

Sarah Elizabeth Kron said...

(second anna's comment) (but really i loved reading every bit of this)

(:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...