Monday, August 06, 2012

Make it! Epic Rainbow Cake!! (mini version)

I have known for months I wanted to somehow incorporate my desire to bake a rainbow cake into little d's birthday, but how I was never quite sure. I wanted something that would be cute and more my style than just a big sheet cake... enter pinterest. If you've never made a rainbow cake and want to try it, this is probably the most surefire good looking option. Super easy, just time consuming. Baking/assembling time was about 4 hours (naptime and then some). Two boxes of moist white cake mix prepped, separated into six bowls. Make your colors with some good old fashioned food coloring. And a LOT of it. (I usually used between 2/3 to a whole tube) and the site recommended using both neon and regular colors, which I did and loved the vibrancy.
 It would be much easier to clip the parchment paper into place before pouring the cake in... I was too lazy.
 Spread it out as evenly as possibly (it will be suuuuuper thin!) and bake 10 minutes at 350.
Take out of the oven and let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes, cooling.
Then remove from pan and it sits for another 10 minutes on the cooling rack.
 So on and so forth with each color (I was simultaneously working on the pinata, dont worry I washed my hands) using a new piece of parchment paper with each new layer.
 After each is COMPLETELY cool, start the layering in the 9x13 pan you were baking them in. Leave one layer with parchment paper on the bottom (so cake doesn't stick to the pan) and start placing each additional layer facedown on top of the previous one. Don't forget a thin layer of frosting in between each layer. Do NOT frost the top layer. Cover it with another sheet of parchment, put in the freezer with a bunch of heavy stuff on top of it to compress the layers.
 After freezing at least overnight, remove from freezer (I had to thaw mine out for about 30 minutes) and cut.
 A little uneven layers but overall....Perfection!!!
 the site said to use biscuit cutters, which I dutifully purchased. Too bad they were wide enough (2.5 inches) but not tall enough! I used them as a pattern and did the work myself with the knife. The more frozen the cake is, the cleaner the cut you are going to get.
15 little mini cakes, with TONS of leftovers to munch on!

 The verdict: LOVED it! And I would do it again in a heartbeat... as long as I had a week's notice :)

4 comments:

Suz and Allan said...

Wow, I'm impressed! This looks like it took a lot of time and it turned out perfect!

anna. said...

!!! pinata cookies -> cake version.

Sarah Elizabeth Kron said...

omggggggg i want these in my tum nowwwwwwww!!

Jones Morris said...

Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. I'm happy I found this blog. Thank you for sharing with us,I too always learn something new from your post. cakes mobile al

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...