Monday, July 02, 2012

Make it Monday: blueberry maple oatmeal

When my MIL found this recipe on pinterest, I had my doubts. But one bite in (and the fact that blueberries were on sale that week.. Coincidence?), and I knew this was my new favorite breakfast food. I make two the night before (it's good for two days) and its ready for the next two days. Ammmazing.

1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup old fashioned oats (don't use quick oats... I did once and it turned my oatmeal to mush yuck!!)
1/3 cup skim milk (I'm experimenting with almond milk tonight so we will see how that turns out!)
1-1/2 tsp dried chia seeds (can find in bulk section and get a small amount at whole foods)
1 tsp maple syrup (use the real thing!!)
1/4 c blueberries (fresh or frozen)

You throw it all (minus the blueberries which you add last) in a mason jar (or cup, which I cover with aluminum foil) and mix it up really good, adding berries in last so they stay fresh and crisp. Put overnight in fridge and the oats and chia absorb the yogurt and milk in a yummy way and the whole
Thing reminds me of a blueberry pastry... Complete with smells of maple syrup. The calorie count? 202 calories (minus a little bit if you do the almond milk) and 11 grams of protein. Golden in my book! Not to mention its super quick prep and I can eat it quickly too... Wish I had this recipe when I was working full time, but maybe some other time challenged mom can benefit from my newfound sage wisdom. :) there are 4 other variations I have left to try, if you google or pinterest it's an easy find. Enjoy!

*side note: I used the almond milk and it was a little difference in consistency, as well as a little more tart (I think it did something to the maple syrup because I couldn't really taste it) so skip the almond milk and go straight for the good old fashioned skim milk :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...