Monday, July 30, 2012

DZ #5: Make it Monday! Bob Harper's lentil soup

Bob's Skinny Rules book has turned into my new favorite. Obsessssed. Not only do I think Bob is an incredible person who really cares about helping people lose weight, but I ADORE his book, including (especially?) the recipes, and I've only tried out a few, two of which are soups. Sure, some of the rules are a bit trickier to follow than others (remember this?), but after reading through the book, I realized that they are all doable and beneficial, even if it does take some adjusting. I love that this book ISN'T your typical diet book but it's really just an encouragement (at least to me) to be eating healthier to match the lifestyle I want to live. And he gives you practical grocery/pantry lists, which is awesome. Not necessarily to be skinny, but to be healthy. And I am starting to adapt those rules (to a certain extent) to my own little family. I currently follow 14 of the rules and am working on the other 6... but that is a post for another time. In the meantime, GO READ it!

Back to the lentils. I LOVE lentil soups. My aunt makes a killer lentil soup but she's in Ohio, so I usually stick with the Progresso kind. Never again!!

This has turned into my favorite soup of all time... And I really like soup! With 217 calories, 10 g of protein, and 2g of fat, not only is it LOADED with flavor, savory with a little sweetness (sweet potatoes) thrown in, but it's good for you too! I usually triple the recipe (what is listed is the original, single serving recipe) so I only have to make it once to last me three days, and it actually tastes even better reheated! Even Mr. D and the little one liked it.

Bob Harper's Savory Lentil Soup
Note: If you prep the chopped veggies ahead of time, this is a super quick meal to make!
1/4 c dried lentils
olive oil spray
1/4 c chopped carrot
2 tablespoons chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon tomato paste (which I have never had, so I have used spaghetti sauce or salsa and it has turned out good both times!)
1/2 c cubed peeled sweet potato (I got lazy and used my MiL's mandoline [best invention ever, I am stealing it when we move out] then chopped it up, which is why my sweet potatoes are bigger chunks)
1 and 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
dash of salt and freshly ground pepper
(optional) 1/2 tablespoon parsley,1/2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Rinse and drain lentils, set aside. Coat medium pot with olive oil spray.
2. Add carrot, onion, celery, garlic to pot and saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add bay leaf, thyme, tomato paste and stir for 1 minute.
4. Add lentils and sweet potato, stir 1 minute.
5. Add broth and bring to boil; reduce the heat and cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until veggies and lentils are tender. Stir occasionally.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with sprinkling of parsley and parmesan (also good without).

3 comments:

Eric and Andrea said...

Looks so good and healthy. I'm making this soon! Thanks Kron!

anna. said...

that looks ridiculously delicious. gotta try this one...

Sarah Elizabeth Kron said...

done. so. yum. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...