Friday, June 22, 2012

Boston Celtics and Taking a toddler to Fenway Park to watch a Red Sox game

Sometimes, as I live here in Boston I need to pinch myself to make sure this is real life.
In real life, people do not get Boston Celtics playoffs tickets handed to them. For free.
And get free babysitting on the side.
 Pre-game excitement.
 We actually went to a couple of Celtics games this year, compliments of a really nice family in our ward as well as a pretty awesome FiL, and each one was a blast.
I love getting to actually sit and watch a basketball game with Mr. D, like we did when we were newlyweds. I love going to games because it doesn't matter if the house is a wreck and needs cleaning, or little d's upset and needs my attention because they aren't at the game. All I have at a game to focus on is basketball and Mr. D. I can count on one hand how often I have been able to sit and do nothing and watch a game at home with Mr. D since little d's birth.

 They won that game. Too bad we couldn't make it to the other games because obviously we were the C's good luck charms. So I guess I should apologize to KG for them not making it to the Finals.
 And then memorial day rolled around and the stars perfectly aligned: little d took a good early nap, Mr. D did not have work, the Red Sox had an afternoon game and we had 8 tickets. Boo yeah. First Red Sox game for our Red Sox baby.
 Of course Wally had to come.

 Little d even made a little friend, all the way from Connecticut.
 LOVED these seats. Perfect weather, quick game.
 In case you don't remember, Wally is the Green Monster.

 If my dad taught me anything about baseball watching, it's that you should usually have one snack per inning. Makes the games more exciting.


 We even splurged and spent the $8 to get little d a strawberry ice cream in a baseball cap, which was promptly covered in sprinkles and m&m's and devoured by the three of us (four, if you count Wally).

 When I looked up "taking a toddler to Fenway Park" I was shocked with all the nay-sayers. Everyone said DONT DO IT!! WASTE OF MONEY! Please. Little d has been interested and watching baseball since last year, and at this point we are just feeding the obsession. We tell him who the player is that is up to bat, and he screams "HOME RUN!" every time the bat connects with the ball. We were lucky to actually get a few home runs, to which little d would gladly and eagerly recap exactly how the bat hit the ball and how high the ball flew into the stands.
 The one thing we did not do (that I wish we had done before going to the game, but it was last minute so whatever) is teach little d "take me out to the ballgame," which is currently his favorite song. So I'm also working on teaching him "sweet caroline" before his next game, which I am eager to take him to, but you know, no plans so far. We'll see how the summer treats us.
 All that baseball watching made little d SUPER eager to try out the sport again, after seeing it in person. He is quite the impressive hitter, although his batting average has gone down since going out to utah and being more excited to mimick the sound of the bat crack than actually paying attention to the ball. No matter.

 He makes for good entertainment either way.

 Poor KG. Since he never got to make it to a C's or Sox game, little d decided to get a little artsy fartsy with him the other day.

 I'm pretty sure he didn't appreciate getting water painted on, but that's his problem for lacking in the opposable thumbs department. He did like drinking the water once it was spilled, though.

2 comments:

anna. said...

....is he wearing socks in that last picture? haha.

also he SHOULD know "take me out to the ballgame" bcs it's on the red sox baby dvd. trust me. i would know.

Sarah Elizabeth Kron said...

PLEASE get that last photo blown up + framed. mama + i both love it SO so much haha. just love your red sox baby...who definitely DOES know take me out to the ballgame (by now, at least!!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...