Monday, May 21, 2012

Make it Monday: Guiltless Mac and Cheese

Have you heard of Bobby Dean? Yeah, me either until I found this to die for recipe in one of my magazines. Apparently he has his own show where he takes his mom's grease and butter laden meals and makes them a little healthier. I've made this twice and I think it just may be my new favorite way to make homemade macaroni and cheese! You drastically cut fat and calories AND its a great way to sneak in some yummy veggies. Good thing Rachael Ray had him on her show the other day or else this recipe would probably still be gathering dust in one of my notebooks!

Ingredients

  • Cooking spray, for baking dish
  • 3 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3 ounces shredded Parmesan
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream (I used greek yogurt)
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 16-ounce bag frozen petite peas, thawed (ew!!! I cannot stand peas so I used finely chopped broccoli)
  • 1 cup finely chopped cauliflower
  • 4 cups cooked multigrain elbow macaroni, drained (I used my new favorite pasta Picolini made with carrots and squash!)
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
  • Yields: 10 servings

    Preparation

    Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, add the cheeses, milk, egg whites, reduced-fat sour cream, mustard, salt, pepper, peas, and cauliflower. Mix ingredients together until combined. After the macaroni has been cooked according to package directions and drained, add your cheese mixture into the warm pot you cooked the macaroni in and stir, the residual heat will help the mixture combine. Pour into your prepared casserole dish. Evenly sprinkle the whole wheat bread crumbs over the macaroni. Bake, until the filling is hot and the topping is golden, 35 – 40 minutes.
    Calorie Info Per Serving:
    Bobby's Guiltless Cheesy Mac: 289 calories, 7.3 grams fat
    The Lady's Cheesy Mac: 520 calories, 28 grams fat
    Differences: 231 calories, 20.7 grams fat

8 comments:

Have Your Way said...

Ive heard of Bobby Dean!!! I heard his recipes are the BOMB!!! Looks YUMMY!!

Lizzie N said...

im goin to make this! either tonight or tomorrow! thanks ruth : )

Michal Sarah said...

Yum!

Jordan and Laura said...

mmmm i may make this tonight! thanks ruth!

Rachelle Wardle said...

Um Yum that looks so dang delicious! Totally trying it. Thanks for sharing Ruth.

anna. said...

agreed. this is totally happening at my house this weekend.

Eric and Andrea said...

I made this last night. Was super delish!! Loved the peas and calliflower in it. Thanks for posting the recipe. Mwah!! xoxo

Sarah Elizabeth Kron said...

um YUM. except it would be WAY more delish with peas, just sayin (;

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...