Monday, May 28, 2012

Make it Monday: BEST OF Oven Roasted Veggies!!

When little d and I picked out an eggplant a few weeks ago and after racking my brain for 10 minutes (since the only thing I ever did with eggplant was oven roast and mash into baby food!), I went to my default: Pinterest. The recipe is super cake and this stuff was like bruschetta gone to heaven. LOVED it. 

Unfortunately the link to the blog no longer works (stinks when that happens) but what I remember was you slice the eggplant long ways SUPER skinny, brush it with olive oil (on aluminum foil lined baking sheet), bake 10 minutes at 350, then take out and top with tomatoes and a dash of cheese (I used meunster), and cook it another 10. I know, I know eggplant seems questionable but seriously it was divine.
 Also something I like making a plenty over the summer (even if I do prefer the likes of cold salads) is roasted veggies. Take your pick of broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, and/or any color of potatoes (purple ones are my favorite!) and toss lightly in olive oil, salt and pepper. I use about a tablespoon and a half on this whole dish and barely a pinch of salt and pepper. I like the natural flavors to come through because they are SO rich and yummy with just a bit of olive oil. The worst thing you can do is drench the whole thing in olive oil, at which point you may as well run the whole thing through water to rinse it out and restart because nobody likes a soggy vegetable....yuck!

420 degrees for 20 minutes (haha get the pun??) the veggies will be slightly bendable with a bit of a crisp. There have been dinners that I have eaten an entire pan of these vegetables on my own, they are just that good!
 Something else I bothered to make in the last week has been my Boston Marathon shadow box. The picture doesn't do it justice and it has changed a handful of times since the initial placement but that is the great thing about shadow boxes... you can continue to change around the arrangement as you see fit. Aside from taping my splits (on the bottom lefthand side of the box here) onto the marathon welcome brochure, this is pretty much how it stands. I had other things too but the race blanket (background), course map, medal, bib, and race booklet were all things I considered the most memorable part of my race. Also still need to get an actual picture of myself running the race. Working on that. For now, this will work for me and I think I like it. When I get it in an apartment we will hopefully have by summer's end it will look much nicer instead of cluttered next to some old magazines and books by my makeup and hair products. All in due time. My next project is tackling the monster that is my jewlery collection. I hear pinterest calling...
 One final thing that has been in the works for literally months is this painting. Thankfully it no longer looks like that but I think I will wait to post the full completed thing until Monday, when the family will receive it and also because I am not done yet. So yeah enough time wasting, off to work on that...

3 comments:

Have Your Way said...

Looks YUMMY!!
Maybe I should make a shadow box for my half I ran?!
Also I LOVE pinterest!! its amazing!

anna. said...

so artsy. so jealous.

Sarah Elizabeth Kron said...

not a huge fan of eggplant..but def trying those veggies. as soon as i finish a marathon..TOTALLY stealing your shadowbox idea too (:

can't wait to see you TOMORROW!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...