Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sweet baby boy and my last marathon Monday

Well one week post first marathon, I feel good. I did cheat yesterday and ran 3 miles easy with little d. Some of the run felt great and some of it was just okay. I was by no stretch of the imagination coasting but my legs work just fine.

Mentally I feel recovered. Finally. Those
First few days I struggled with the completion of my marathon. Hadn't it come and gone too soon? Had it even happened at all? It felt like a dream and it took hours of pouring over race pictures and talking about the actual race to finally settle in and accept that it did indeed happen and it was in fact an amazing, once in a lifetime experience.

Part of the PMB or post marathon blues as I like to call it, was in grasping for an answer to "what next?" I had devoted months and dedicated hours of training and now I needed something to fill that void. Luckily for me, I was reading yesterday something that made me think, the marathon is such a good example of worldly success. It is quick and fleeting happiness, which pales in comparison to the lasting joy of being a mother. Other hobbies will come and go but never make me as happy as when I am striving to do the right thing to set myself and my family on an eternal path towards my Savior. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy running lots of marathons, but at least my gospel knowledge can help me overcome even my saddest moments. Truth has a funny way of doing that for you.

If there is anything I have learned in the last 21 months since I have birthed a child, trained for and run two half marathons and one full marathon, it is this: the human body is an amazing incredible thing and capable of so much more than we give it credit for. You only have to read Dean Karnazes' Ultramarathon Man book once to realize that. Which I highly recommend. That, and watching a few seasons of the biggest loser to make you realize that a marathon is cake! :)

Finding out what my body is capable of doing has been supremely awesome to experience and I am looking forward to a future with many more marathons and hopefully a few more babies. But no Ragnars. At least not until sleepless nights (or too early mornings) are a distant memory

3 comments:

Julia said...

love this post. so glad you are recovering well :) and love those pics of your sweet boy!

anna. said...

that kid is a model.

Sarah Elizabeth Kron said...

WHAT A MODEL. honestly. gap baby!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...