Monday, December 26, 2011

Green [or purple] Smoothies

I have found love in a new blender and a heaping large amount of fresh spinach and frozen fruit.
I've been tinkering with the recipe for awhile now [since I usually just throw everything in] and have come up with my favorite smoothie recipe. All the breaks to BLEND are so that you don't break/overwhelm your blender, assuming you don't have one of those fancy juicer-types [I'm looking at you, Sari!] and just an Oster like I do.
Best part is... it makes up about 5 cups of smoothie and is only about 70 calories a cup [serving]!
Little d is almost as much of a smoothie addict as his mama.

Redsoxwife's Gree-urple Smoothie Recipe
Half a bunch of spinach, stems cut off [I hate the stems. And you know the fresh stuff comes in bumches, right??] 
1 to 1.5 cups water [depends on how watery you like it]
BLEND.
1 cup pineapple chunks
1 fresh banana
BLEND.
1 cup frozen strawberries
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed 
BLEND.
And here is the part where you decide if you like the green look. If yes, you are done!
If not, add
1 cup frozen mixed berries... it will slowly turn purple [or a nice "chocolate" color]
And that is what I am making this Monday.
Disclaimer: I was always hesitant to try spinach in my smoothies but I can never taste it and it adds such a healthy punch to my [and little d's] diet. I got the idea from Kendra who said she makes a daily smoothie that her little guy can nosh on all day and still get his greens in. And now that I once again have a blender I will usually make a smoothie for little d's breakfast, and save the rest for me post-workout [you know, when I have no time to make anything but need food asap]. I am still tinkering with almond butter and greek yogurt in my smoothies but this one is a surefire winner winner chicken dinner.
Hope your Christmas was merry and bright! We are headed to Boston tonight for a few days to see the in-laws, so fingers crossed little d sleeps the whole time since we are driving through the night!

3 comments:

Missy said...

That's a great idea! I really like spinach but I know that I never get enough greens, so that is a great way to incorporate them!

Sarah said...

SO CUTEEEEEEEEE ahhh i can't get enough of him!! and the smoothies...thanks for posting the recipe so i can use it (:

anna. said...

!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...