Monday, November 28, 2011

omelettes and muffins: what I'm making monday!

Seriously, it's what's for breakfast: VEGGIES!

I love finding new ways to sneak in veggies, especially before noontime :)
Here is one of my favorite breakfasts: two eggs, slice of provalone, a few cubes of tofu [to add some soy, and by itself it is tasteless... it just absorbs the flavors around it!], mushrooms, tomatoes, and avocado. [all that is missing is spinach!]
 Everything in cubes... little known fact: this was my first attempt at a REAL omelette. I usually get too freaked out that the egg will not cook so I just end up doing my "omelettes" scrambled!
 And I always top it off with fresh tomatoes and avocado... the perfect meal in my book.
And Anabel Karmel [who else??] had this muffin recipe I just "perfected"... the carrots and pineapple make it SO moist it almost tastes--dare I say it--buttery!: [anything crossed out is the original recipe and what follows is my variation of AK's Carrot and Pineapple Muffins [makes about 13]:

1 c all purpose flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger nutmeg [I never have ginger, and nutmeg always compliments cinnamon well!]
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c vegetable oil applesauce [I learned from Bananas that you NEVER have to bake with oil if you replace the same amount with unsweetened applesauce! Brownies, cake, bread tastes just as good and are much healthier!]
1/3 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 c carrots, finely shredded
1-8oz can crushed pineapple [I also put it through the food processor so there would be no chukiness in the muffin]
2/3 c raisins  I omit this since nobody likes raisins baked into food in this family :)
[I also added chocolate chips to a few of them for variety... which DK actually loved!]
To Do:
Preheat oven to 350'.
In large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, ginger/nutmeg, and salt. Beat the oil/applesauce, eggs, sugar together till well blended.
Add grated carrot, pineapple, and raisins.
Gradually add the flour mixture, beating just enough to combine all the ingredients.
Pour batter into muffin pans lined with paper muffin cups and bake for about 25 minutes or till golden.
[after the first time, I realized it they are so moist that they stick to the cups, so I spray the liners/pan too]
Om nom nom.

5 comments:

Have Your Way said...

Muffins look HEAVENLY :)

I should have hit up your house after my morning run today ;)

Lizzie N said...

im the same way about omlettes! im so intimidated. and you would be proud... im force feeding myself tomatoes lately to like them more. so.. ur omlette actually does look real good, even with tomatoes ; ) and those muffins look delish. im going to have to try them!

Debbie said...

Those look SOO good! I will have to try them!

Sarah said...

umm YUMMMMMY! Slash I happen to love raisins baked into things. The rest of you are just crazy. (:

Eric and Andrea said...

Can I come over for breakfast please?!?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...