Thursday, November 17, 2011

DZ #29: Read the Book of Mormon

I have officially read this book 9 times since I left for college back in fall of 2004.
Which wouldn't be terribly impressive to myself if I would have read it even once all the way before 2005. But I never did. Kind of sad, when I think about it, that I skimmed it, skipped around reading favorite stories even, but never once read it start to finish until I was 19. It is a miracle to me that I was still able to stand professing membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [the "Mormons"] during my childhood and teenage years when I didn't fully understand what it was all about.

I wouldn't say it was blind faith since I did know a lot about the book and what it stood for. But after reading this book all the way through and really asking and receiving a sure witness of the truthfulness of the restored gospel, that was something I was completely unprepared for how it would alter my life and make me into a very different person than I was in the 19 years previous.

This book has changed my life for the better. I know it to be true because I have read it. Since I have started reading it, every time I finish [and get ready to start re-reading], I mark the date. As I reflect on those dates, every one of them has some significant meaning to me. Some more obvious, like when I knew I was going to marry Mr. D, the week I got married, or the week after little d was born [I would have finished before he was born but I got caught up in reading "Jesus the Christ" by James E. Talmage, also a brilliant book I recommend]. And some a little more personal and close to the heart.

I love this book. I love my gospel. And even if nothing big happened at the end of this reading [I'm trying not to count getting fired], it fills my soul with love and hope and all kinds of wonderful things. Including the yearning for being a little bit better today than I was yesterday.
Even if it means falling down and picking myself up every now and again. :)

3 comments:

Emily Rebecca Jacobs said...

It's at those hard moments where I have loved having the BOM the most. Thanks for being such an awesome example to me, Ruth!

Sarah said...

so proud of you (: (: (: i'm working on this myself right now!! i love how cute little d is (:

anna. said...

oh my adorable picture. love this one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...