Saturday, October 22, 2011

some good books

I've read a few good books in the last few months, and figured I would share my thoughts on them in case anyone hasn't read them. Because all of these books I have read are pretty brilliant. And it's not that I'm a slow reader... just about all these books I read within 72 if not 48 hours of starting them [sure I lost a bit of sleep in the process, but what can I say? I love a good book.]. UMM made me realize how silly it is for me to be intimidated by the marathon. I mean, this guy runs regular 100 and 150 miler races? No big deal. I'll put it on my next DZ list to meet him. Some people may call him a selllout but I loved getting the chance to peek into a world I would otherwise never know about. Ironic that it's called confessions of an all night runner... because I literally stayed up all night to finish reading the book. The man is a great writer and a bomb runner. Didn't get me thrilled about running ultra's but definitely got me excited for my first marathon. To see a man's journey from drunk and overweight and how he transforms himself into a pavement pounder...unreal.
 This is the book that sparked a whole lot of "barefoot running" debate. My take? The book is brilliant and I see why barefoot running is important. Gradually and in small doses. And I do try to be barefoot as much as I can when I'm not traipsing through the acorn and branch covered minefield that is my backyard. But the most important thing I got from this book was being taken into a wonderful, adventurous story [as long as you can make it past the first two chapters of background info] of a tribe that nobody really knows exists because they like it that way and they run for the pure joy of running. There is something so incredible and honest about that. I'm working my way there.


 Kara's book was given to me by my inlaws since Mr. D's dad got a copy [one of my favorite perks of him being a sports reporter... free books!] and it was perfect timing for me, since the book is divided into small chapters that are easy to get through and bolded headings help out even the most time crunched [like when I was working full time, training for a half marathon, mommying and wifeing and somehow sleeping all within 24 hours a day]. It took me awhile to get through this book because of said time crunch but it was really enjoyable. Most of the information I knew already [I read a LOT of magazines, especially running and health related ones] but it was good to get a refresher.
Oh where to begin with the Hunger Games... well, I devoured book 1 just as quickly as a Potter or Twilight. Unfortunately I got it at the library so no idea how I will get #2 [Surah has #3 that she left here thank goodness] so I may be spending a few evenings at Barnes and Noble. Terrifying and yet a grippingly brilliant book. I hated the ending a little bit but only because it made me feel the way I felt after watching Pirates 2: it had potential to shock me, amaze me, anything, and it was a bit... disappointing. Like it fell short of the remainder of the storytelling. But that was just one page in over 375 so it still scored really well in my book. If you haven't read it, you really should.

Well, that's it. Not a tremendous amount of reading [still too many books in the "TBR" or "currently reading pile" for my liking] but I suppose there are more important things to do for the time being. Like the Hot Dog dance :)

6 comments:

Cory Reese said...

I also loved Ultramarathon Man. The highs and lows of an ultramarathon were fascinating to read about.

Missy said...

I love The Hunger Games, it was definitely unlike anything I have ever read before, but somehow it sucked me in!
You will really like the 2nd and 3rd books they are just as amazing!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I loved the Hunger Games! The first book I thought was the best, but I devoured all three!

Sarah said...

i love that i read all of these haha. except born to run. LOVE THEM. and you (:

anna. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anna. said...

hunger gamesssss.

may the odds be ever in your favor.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...