Saturday, September 17, 2011

[six years from] our very first date

Mr. D wasn't even supposed to be at the Glenwood, but as fate would have it, one of his best friends, Dustin, decided last minute to bump up his wedding a few months earlier and bailed as Mr. D's roommate. Living with brother Mike at the Glenwood was sort of a fall-back option.
Apartment 51: Mager, Jasmine, Amax, Katie, [me], Keely.
Apartment 89: Garrett, Jamie, Ryan, Mike, Cameron, Mr. D.
Mr. D and I had met a few weeks prior, mostly due to the fact that my roommates had been hanging out with his roommates [especially big brother Mike] over the previous few summer months. Our collective roommates were constantly doing things like movie nights [first time I watched What About Bob? I was feeding Mr. D popcorn in our Glenwood living room] and attending ward functions [like the getting to know you activity, or the informal slip&slide party, or the ultimate frisbee activity where I had no desire to be social...]. I remember thinking how unfair it was that Keely and Jasmine were so at ease with all these boys they hung out with, and I felt completely lost in the shuffle. Not to mention I was gone for the first real weekend of school because I flew back home for my cousin's wedding.

All the guys they hung out with [including Mr. D] seemed really nice, but they didn't know me, and our ward had some seriously gorgeous girls to compete with... overall, I was pretty intimidated and by the end of that first week of school had resigned myself to the fact that I would probably just focus on getting my grades up sophomore year and worry about dating my junior year.


Thursday September 15, 2005 was The Day.

I was painting a mural in the hallway outside our apartment for a Humanities assignment ALL DAY. Like from 7am or something ridiculous, right through lunch and dinner. All day I had people coming by to admire my handiwork, talk with me, whatever. I don't even remember what it looked like, all I remember was a tree and some football related logos. Anyways, Mr. D was one of those people who stopped by to see what I was up to during those long hours. Towards the end of the evening, he stopped by in a backpack, headed to the library.

I remembered [with only a slight amount of panic] the 7 other classes I had to study and do stuff for, and offered to go with him. So I quickly cleaned up, grabbed my books and off we studied until the music sounded around midnight, telling us it was time to go home and the library was closing. As we walked home, we chatted and Mr. D mentioned something about food. I wasn't hungry but I really wanted to keep talking with him... he was so funny and just a really nice guy. We headed to McDonald's but they were closed inside and wouldn't let us walk through the drive through. So off we went to Denny's, for a brownie a la mode. We chatted for an hour or so in that little booth and then he walked me back to our apartment complex.

I came home that night [well, it was in the wee hours of the morning] to my roommate in the living room asking me if I owed her M&M's [for holding hands] or something more. I laughed it off, telling her how silly that suggestion was, we were just good friends and nothing more. Sure, I thought he was gorgeous and loved being around him, but I was pretty sure he was not interested in me in that way.
At a BYU game: Me and two of my roommates, he with two of his: Jasmine, me, Mike, Mr. D, Cameron, Amax.

From that night on, everything was a bit of a blur for about a week. Somehow we exchanged numbers and spent the next week sleeping very little, hanging out all day and staying up till the wee hours of the morning talking at night. We watched movies, went to games, walked to class and ate together...we were inseparable. A week later, we were talking outside my apartment and I think he mentioned something about us dating. I was confused and asked him when it was that we started dating, thinking of course this was just casual and he surely must be dating other girls. Mr. D rightly reminded me that he would have had NO time to see other girls, since all his time was spent with me :) He always was the smart one in our relationship. We pinpointed the library night [with Denny's] as the 15th and our first official date. We've since had a bit of a falling out with Denny's, but still celebrate every September 15th with a brownie a la mode, this year at Bob Evan's.

On our one month "anniversary" I got to see Tom Brady in person [only like my biggest dream since I was 16] and go to Denver for a Patriot's game with brother Cory [pictured with friend Kyler] and meet my future father-in-law [even if the only thing I remembered about him at the time was that he was really into these South Beach Diet bars!]
 Then, a few [dozen] intramural games [and subsequent trips to Hogi Yogi] later....
We went disco roller skating and cross dressed for Halloween...
Went to the rest of the BYU football games together...
Spent the Christmas holidays together [pre-holiday, with Keely and Brandon]
When he of course got me a Tom Brady Jersey [which made me love him even MORE!]
And that next month he proposed...
 And three months later we tied the knot!
And that, my friends, is the story of how I became the Red Sox Wife.
The rest, as they say, is history...

11 comments:

Drew Dowling said...

As part of the "Red Sox Wife" you probably have mentioned my internship with the Red Sox for the 1st summer we were married and then my NESN (the TV station where all the Red Sox games can be seen) internship for the 2nd summer we were married. Not to mention the slap in the face that first summer was for you when all I would do is go to work, come home, and watch Red Sox games every night...sorry about that. It's a religion.

Sarah said...

Hahahahah. Drew's comment definitely needs to be included in your post so you don't forget any of that for future generations (: love this love storyyyyyyyyy!

Have Your Way said...

what a CUTE story!!! That is so amazing!!! You two are such an amazing couple!

Missy said...

What a sweet story, I love all the pics, thanks for sharing!

theWife said...

Brings back so many memories... especially the pictures. I had completely forgot about M&Ms. Good Times! Thanks for posting.

Emily Rebecca Jacobs said...

<3

anna. said...

"what sarah said " + "what emily said"

love it.

Eric and Andrea said...

Ahh, what a great stroll down memory lane. Loved this post! Congrats to you and Mr. D for having great times and memories and a lasting relationship. Love you two!!

siovhan said...

(I apologize if this leaves this twice, it kicked me out the fire time.)

This is so sweet!! It reminds me of when I fiesta met you two. You're still so adorable together!! I love you both (and little D, too!).

Also, fun fact: Pat's and my first date/hangout was on September 15th, too! And established after the fact, as well.

Rachelle Wardle said...

Love this!!! I cannot believe how short your hair was! You both are just perfect and I am jealous.

P.S. I got into Boston!!!!!!!!!

Melissa Kent said...

I love this! What a fun story :) You look so stinkin adorable in all those pics, what a cute couple. How do you have such UH-mazing hair? Looks so gorgeous long OR short!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...