Monday, September 19, 2011

14 months with my little nut.

14 months already?? [Halleluja its only 4 months till nursery!] There's so much going on with this kid, and while I know I won't be able to do this every month, I want to record a couple of "highlights" before I forget it all.
Playing: Mr. D bought him a batting tee and by far his favorite thing to do is go outside and play with the bat and whiffle balls. He also enjoys swinging, going down and crawling up slides, kicking a ball around, eating leaves, throwing acorns, chasing after the neighborhood cats [especially the Kevs] and giving them a kiss and a hug. He is always trying to throw something or high five other kids [at least I tell that to myself when I see him hit them] and then gives them a kiss "muah!" and a hug.
Playing in any kind of water [most recently we went to the Scioto River and he madly made the sign for "bath" and bolted for the water!] is a thrill to him, but even playing in an empty tub or pool makes him so happy. We have incorporated a nightly bath to the bedtime routine, and along with reading books and taking a bottle, makes the night routine almost an hour! But he loves it and sleeps well [usually] so we're sticking with what works.
Other play areas include the garage that houses a toybox full of balls and frisbees, running circles around the main floor, going to the library for storytime, and playing with the keyboard or fooseball or going on the treadmill in the basement. TV is still the most boring thing in the world to him. :) Only Blue's Clues has held his attention for longer than .2 seconds [I think it was maybe about .5 seconds, and only because it was a soccer game episode].
Bug signing "eat," usually these days referring to raisins.
Talking: Aside from signing [milk, more, eat, bath, help, please, all done], he's started talking! Mostly "Ball" but also a little bit of "MY Ball!" and "More!" but the latter is always said with a british accent ["Moh-a"]... no idea where he got that from. "Mama" is usually used as a bit of profanity when he's upset, or in reference to my mom [his grandma] or DK. "Daaaad!" is the best because I ask him where dad is and he hollers as loud as he can to find Mr. D. He still uses a lot of "No," mostly to Kevs when he jumps up on anything he's not supposed to and "Nahh" for just about anything he can point at. We've also started him on animal sounds and he knows monkey "ahh ahh", cat "mew", dog "oof", horse "naaay", fish [makes fishface and "pop pop" sounds], cow "um-oo", and tiger/lion/dinosaur "rarrrr".
Post chocolate-chip pancake [that he never really ate, only smeared all over his face]
Eating: Should a baby survive off of raisins, yogurt and milk? Occasionally I can get him to eat some ramen with egg mix, a frozen blueberry or two but seriously he is SO picky these days. I just keep trying different things but I think he's on a no-carb diet or something because he will not eat pasta or bread [at least nothing that I give him]. And I cannot help but laugh when people advise me to "just put a dropcloth underneath him" so that he can eat on his own... because he never just DROPS something. Maybe that works for most kids, but mine has an ARM. And he can chuck that fork or grape or pasta piece across the kitchen and into the dining room faster than you can grab his arm. We've finally quelled most of the hitting, but throwing food has led to more timeouts before 8am than he gets all day. Time outs are hilarious though, because I put him in a chair in another room, and usually cross my arms, explaining we are in time out and why. So of course he crosses his arms and pouts and makes the CUTEST faces at me for the whole of the 60 seconds. And he knows I always tell him "I love you" and give him a hug and a kiss at the end of time out [after we talk about NO MORE THROWING FOOD] so sometimes he jumps the gun and reaches out to me and gives me a kiss. Melts my heart every time... even if I am only half-awake :)
Sleeping: Sundays are the WORST because he is always tired and falls asleep in the car on the way home, poor thing, usually with fists clenched. Sleeping has been pretty awful and all over the place overall since he turned one. So two months of pretty nightmarish nights [and a few afternoons]. He will go to bed around 8 usually [I've been trying to do it a bit earlier lately] and will wake up around 6am, ready for the day to start WHICH HE HAS NEVER DONE SO EARLY BEFORE. I am someone who loves her morning alone time, so this has been really really hard for me. Meaning if I want to get a workout in I have to wake up at 5AM. More on that later. But I really do miss when he slept till 8. Then there's the whole random waking up in the middle of the night [which sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't] screaming bloody murder, and milk and meds and diaperchange and everything just doesn't make him happy, as he just wants you to play with him. At 2 in the morning. Please. Then, after being awake for two hours he STILL wakes up at 6am [of course]. I hate unpredictability so this has been really really difficult for me to deal with. Good thing he's so stinking cute or we'd have to put him up for adoption. Joke. About the adoption part :) And naps are pretty terrible... we've been trying one nap a day but he only ever does 1-hour naps and when he does do a second nap it lasts about 25-minutes but that's it. It's a work in progress but sure makes for really long days and a constantly tired mom.
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this kid to pieces and love isn't even adequate to describe how much I love him. His sleeping [and eating] has just seen better days. And I need to be more responsible with my use of time and going to bed at a good time instead of blogging :) My little Bug is seriously the light of my life and even when he make me mad at him, he still finds a way to make me laugh. Like the other day when he decided to eat my USWeekly:
 Or try to eat applesauce like Aunti Surah:
 And this guy celebrated the release from the cone of shame [and subsequent good health!] the only way he knows how... by terrorizing paper products.
Also, I broke our camera. Yeah, the one Mr. D bought for me just a few months ago... so cameraphone photos will have to suffice for the time being. Till I donate enough plasma to afford another one :)

4 comments:

MrsQ said...

I love that your little guy knows sign language! When we have a baby, I plan on teaching him/her sign language... Of course, I need to learn, too! lol

As always, your little one is stealing my heart! Great pics! :)

Have Your Way said...

He's SOO cute!!! I can't wait to meet him soon!!!
I hope soon he gets out of his waking up early funk and such!!

Sarah said...

applesauce <3 he is SO CUTE. how did you break your camera though?? ): sad day in the neighborhood. way to keep track of all this stuff!!! you're a great mama (:

anna. said...

plus....TEETH?! just love all the pics.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...