Tuesday, August 09, 2011

the silent f in injury

Let me just start off by saying that Karma's a little b...east.
I feel like every article/book on running I have been reading lately has been about injuries and I usually just skim it over, thinking, well, good thing that's something I don't have to worry about that.
WRONG.
6 miles into my 10 miler (that only ended up being 9.5-miler), I knew something was wrong. 
But I kept going.
I was applauding myself for trying a new route, [more scenic and conveniently close to a bunch of drinking fountains, since I was running in the middle of the day] that had a wide variety when it came to terrain: rocks, gravel, grass, asphalt, sidewalk, and pretty much everything in between.

By mile 8 I HAD to stop. I wasn't going too fast, I didn't have music with me so I was meticulously watching every footfall and assessing how I felt... and I knew if I didn't stop running then the pain in my right foot could get bad enough that I wouldn't be able to run Hobble Creek in two weeks. So I [head down, shamefully] walked (ok, staggered along) the last two miles. It was TERRIBLE.
It's the same leg I've had a little bit of runner's knee with on and off over the last few years. I woke up Sunday and immediately felt pain on top of my foot. It hurts to walk, go down stairs, EVERY thing.
Now what I DON'T want is a lecture on how "bad running is for me." That is crap and you know it and I know it. Working out is the absolute best thing I have EVER done for myself and I will be running, yogalates-ing, whatever until the day I die. Injury is just inevitable but I'll gladly take it with a fit body over no injury and being miserable and out of shape. SO... just a lot of icing and stretching and foam-rolling for the next two week (not to mention a lot of praying) and hopefully I will still be toeing that start line come the 20th.

But I would much rather deal with a few weeks layoff of running [and just resort to cross training for awhile] and be able to run for a long time... I just may start changing the way I run (thanks to a few books I've been reading).
Then to add insult to injury (HA HA), Little D is refusing to eat anything but a handful of fruit and a lot of whole milk. So his sleeping is terrible, he wakes up starving, and the poop...well, its downright bad. We'll leave it at that. On the upside, I finally finished "Born to Run" (expect a review of that soon) and am about halfway with Kara's book too. Both books are five stars in my opinion. So if I can't run, reading about it is certainly the next best thing!
 

7 comments:

Stefanie D. said...

Ahhhh, Ruth!! I am so, so sorry! :( I think that you are absolutely doing the right thing, by icing it up and stretching. I really REALLY hope that foot gets better, and that you can run Hobble Creek! I'll keep you in my prayers my dear. :)

That darn Baby D, poop little guy. I feel you on the poop situation. OMG. On Sat & Sun morning I woke up to Little C's extreme crying. So I went in there....and there was poop everywhere. All over her face. In her hair. All over the crib. That dang baby of mine ripped her diaper off TWO mornings in a row, and made a huge mess. UGH...no more sleeping in a diaper. Jammies 24/7. At least she can't rip off her diaper that way, right??

Eric and Andrea said...

So sorry to hear about your injury. Hopefully you can recover soon. Also it sounds like Little D is going through a rough patch. I sure hope he starts eating and pooping normal soon. I'll be praying for you guys!

Rachelle Wardle said...

So so sorry friend! I am crossing my fingers and toes for you. RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate) and I am confident you WILL toe that line at hobble creek.

Can you do Yogurtland this Friday? let me know okay! Love you friend.

Julia said...

ahhhh. i just hate reading about this. i thought the same thing before my injury...i like became obsessed with reading about injuries and just kept thinking "oh well nope don't have that...blah blah blah"...next thing I know...pain. great. that is besides the point though. the point is that it sounds like you are doing all the right things and I am just hoping and praying for the best! i really really hope you will be at that start line!

those were the last 2 books i read as well! loved them both!

sarah said...

Sorry about the poop and foot. I will pray for you concerning both!! Just take advantage of the down time you have to focus on cross-training and reading (: and playing with the poop monster!!

cassidy Merrill said...

Girl! I am so sorry! Call me... We need a play date since it sounds like a run is out!

Missy said...

OH no Ruth! I'm so sorry to hear about your foot, I hope that you are feeling better soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...