Sunday, June 26, 2011

you can't run away from motherhood

but it won't hurt to try. And yesterday, it kinda felt good to try.
The last 24-ish hours have been a little bit like this:
 And this
 and a whole lotta this:
Yup, total crankypants. It was exhausting... thankfully Mr. D let me sleep in till almost 1pm (unheard of!) yesterday and then took Baby D to the pool while I got a run in. At 2:30pm. 
It was about 90 degrees and I ran out of water at mile 4. I DO not recommend running in that kind of heat. I was super sick afterwards but extremely grateful to Mr. D for being such a good hubby... he knows I go crazysauce when I don't get my workout in. Oh and then he let me go out for a (much needed) girl's night as well. Don't worry there will be a post dedicated to his awesomeness soon enough.


Even though I slathered on the sunscreen and did everything I could to prepare (full water bottle, shot blocks, etc), I am definitely repenting of my midday-running ways. Never again will I go on a midday run in the middle of June. I am more than happy to resume my 6am runs, if only I can get Baby D to work some sort of obedience to the sleep gods...like learning the house rule that nobody wakes up before 5am.
From probably one of my all time favorite books:
“For an overstressed, overtired, overextended mother there are few other sensations that rival a delicious run. Once the sweat starts running down my temples, I daydream, analyze, smile, wonder, channeling something cosmic. I feel alive, and most importantly, like myself again.”
If you have never read "Run like a Mother", and are a running mom, GO DO IT NOW.

6 comments:

anna. said...

FIRST TO COMMENTTT!!!!!

love the race pic btw.
you + me + kardashians = tonight.

Lindsey said...

So glad you were able to get a run in, and a girls night out!!

Rachelle Wardle said...

Love that picture of you from the race. You looks so happy!

I went running today at 11:30am and it was hotsauce. I can't even imagine running at 2:30. You are amazing!!

Julia said...

ummmm....best race pic ever?? and what up consistency??? that must be a record having 3 straight miles at the exact same pace. you are amazing. and lets not even talk about running at mid-day. that sounds excruciating. you must be some sort of rock star! duh.

Have Your Way said...

What a Husband. Sorry about baby D. Hopefully he isnt such a crab today

ashley & sundance said...

Running in that kind of heat sucks!! I love that your first 3 miles are all the same!

We met the authors of "run like a mother" at the Ogden Marathon. They are super sweet! My mom even bought a shirt that says "bad@$$ mother runner" ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...