Thursday, June 09, 2011

not a post for the faint of heart... the post baby tummy

I'd like to start off by thanking everyone who has left me kind words on any of these post-baby/scar/weight posts... I appreciate them and more than anything! And for the first time in my life, I hope you know that even with all the little imperfections I joke about, I am PROUD of my body. I wouldn't be sharing all these pictures with the known world if I wasn't, right? The human body is absolutely fascinating to me, especially mine, with all it has gone through. I can officially say I feel STRONG because I AM. Plus, the body of a mother is really a beautiful thing. :)
***********
Similar to the post on my c-section confessions, if you are a bit wary of all things post-baby, well... you've been warned. I promise a weekend of cute baby pictures and running/race recaps. If that is more your style, skip this post and come back tomorrow. I won't be offended at all :)

I always pride myself in being brutally honest on my blog. Why shouldn't I be? So let's get real. And a little bit vain.

Three tangents (on Tummies) Thursday.
Tangent #1: Just because you've had a baby does not mean you cannot look good. But it does take WORK. I am always getting comments (especially from the people in my ward/church, who have only known me 5+ months pregnant) of "how good I look, for having a baby." I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to mean... I have seen plenty of people who are morbidly obese on the Biggest Loser, and most of them have never had kids before. Granted, there is a period of weight gain required in pregnancy, but like any good weight loss story, it can always come off. It just depends on how much time you are willing to put into the process. I guess what I am saying is that I believe most people CAN look good, regardless if they have had a kid or not.

I may not always remember to wear makeup, match my earrings to my outfits, or wear shirts that don't have stains on them, but I'llbedarned if I forget to get a workout in. At least 5 days a week, I am busting my tail for at least a good 30 minutes (I prefer 60) running, pilates, yoga, weights, whatever. Maybe it's not entirely necessary, but I eat pretty much what I want (like homemade ice cream with oreos!) and would MUCH rather jack up the workouts than restrict my dietary intake.
These pictures (on the left) were taken when I was about 3 months postpartum vs. (on right) almost 11 months pp. Which leads us to Tangent #2: I can't believe I am actually saying this, but I miss my chest. Dearly. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that between these two pictures, the balloons have lost all their oxygen... and then some. I took for granted all those years of having a decent sized chest, because it really does make your stomach look not-so-big. Memo to Mr. D: Go ahead and schedule my "surgery" for January 2021. I don't need them mammoth sized, just back to how big they used to be when we met. :)
Tangent #3: I desperately want some abs of steel!! Although I see a big difference in muscle tone in these two pictures, I know I still have a bit to work on in the tummy department. I am starting the Jillian Michaels Ab workouts post-half marathon, hoping that in 6 weeks (by Baby D's 1st birthday party) I can attempt to tighten and tone more of what I have to work with... since while I am only a few pounds off my target, the only part of my body that continues to struggle is this poor tummy of mine:
I warned you! My poor sisters... I know you are reading this. I may never get nieces or nephews now! I promise you, it is worth it! I may still be vain as a high school senior but having Baby D is worth all the saggy skin he left behind. :) Hence the reason I cannot and will not (possibly ever) wear a bikini. So know you know when you see a starlet, post-baby, rocking a bikini... SHE HAS HAD WORK DONE! Maybe Mr. D can go ahead and schedule that tummy tuck right after the implants? We will see if Jillian can help me out here. It does make me really feel for those poor BL contestants... can you imagine all the extra skin you would have if you were suddenly, within 6 months or so, half your weight?!

I guess the important thing with these tangents is that what everyone had been telling me all along was TRUE (can you believe it?!), that it really does take about a year, post baby, for your body to get back to  "normal" (or as close as it is going to get). So...barring any miraculous conceptions, I will be happy to enjoy the body I have worked so hard for for the next year till we try again for #2. And maybe this time I'll learn my lesson and not gain 50 pounds :)

Oh, I suppose I should leave you with something to take the edge of that burning in your eyes from all that skin...

17 comments:

Rochelle said...

You are amazing! I can't believe you showed that picture...you are more brave then me...but mine looks like that plus a gazillion stretch marks and more fat...LOL

It's true - your body totally takes a beating and I wish I wore more bikinis - short skirts - bare midrifs (JK...sort of)- and I totally miss my boobs that stayed upright - now they just fall to the sides and get hidden when I lay down - and they are flat as a pancakes! So annoying! Definitely scheduling those same surgeries after our last! LOL

Can't wait for tomorrow to see you!!! And for Saturday to eat your dust! You are going to do freaking amazing!

Julia said...

Ruth you are gorgeous post-baby! It is so evident how hard you have worked and you should be proud of that! So inpiring. Although I am a little terrified to have children now...but I am sure some day I will get brave enough and be as strong as you :)

See you soon!

MotherRunner said...

Good for you! Check out www.shapeofamother.com

It makes you appreciate all those baby stripes and saggy boobs and wrinkly skin for the amazing job they did creating and nourishing a life (or two).

And non-mamas - take some pictures of your nudie self, NOW! I am not kidding!

Michal Sarah said...

My "baby" is three and I still haven't got to my pre-pregnancy bod. Someday... I am determined to be that girl again.. You are amazing!

Marissa said...

I recommend you check out that website too! It's great!

You are soo amazing for posting the pics! I don't have the guts for showing off my post-baby body, even after 21 months! You look great!

theAlmostRunner said...

BEST TANGENTS EVER! I have always wondered these things about pregnancy. Thank you so much for your honesty!

Merrick said...

I miss my nursing chest too!! I don't even fit in an A bra anymore...already planning my "surgery" too :)

Michelle said...

Miss Ruth...you're an inspiration! Even to "WAY" past baby birthing women! Someday I'll show you my "stripes of valor" which some people call stretch marks(Madison made them the worst)...well that is if you dare! I showed a friend of mine once and she just totally gasped! I'm so used to them, but they totally shocked her. Anyways...rock that 13.1 tomorrow will ya!!! Can't wait to hear about it! BTW, Erika graduates from Hair School tomorrow, so we are having a mini "grad party" for her on Saturday if you and Mr. & Baby D would like to come on over :) Love you kiddo!

Cheri said...

I say what so many of the other posts have stated...way to go Ruth! You have worked extremely hard to get where you are at this point. Congrats!

I agree, it definitely takes WORK to look good! Even people who are naturally skinny (at least the people I know) are careful about what they eat.

I will say, that we all need to be careful about comparing one with another. Some people have metabolism issues (hypothyroidism, etc..) which makes it extremely HARD to loose weight. We cannot look at those people and automatically think they eat bon bons all day and never work out.

And as for the whole scar issue. I do not know what it is like to have a pregnancy scar, but I do know what it is like to have a scar. I have one around the circumference of my leg from previous surgeries and know the feeling of being self-conscious about the whole scar issue. I just can't wait for the day that some dermatologists develops a strategy to permanently remove them without too much reconstructive surgery!

Missy said...

You are gorgeous and I love that you are so confident to share you story with others!

Lindsey said...

This is a great post! Way to go for being so honest - people get so ashamed of themselves\their bodies for such little things.

sarah said...

You are incredible, Ruth!! You are so confident and that is what makes you the most beautiful in my book (: I love you so much and am SO so proud of you for this post!!! You are such a stellar example! And maybe someday you will get a few nieces or nephews from me... we'll see (;

Rachelle Wardle said...

YOu are my HERO RUTH!! And you look amazing! Seriously I am so proud of you for coming back so fast after having a baby. You are seriously inspiring!

6 more awful hours of work until I see you!! :) If I didn't already tell you a lot of us are meeting up at the expo at 4!!

Stefanie D. said...

You, my friend, are just amazing! I have to say that I totally admire your honestly and straight-forwardness (<--Wow, is that a word??). It is such an awesome quality, that not a lot of people have!

I also totally feel you on the "oh, you look good for having a baby" thing. I had a lot of people telling me that after I had Little C and I seriously had mixed feelings about it. Like really, what IS that supposed to mean?? I feel the same way, I think that ANYONE can look good after having a baby. Anybody, you just have to REALLY work for it. I think that a lot of women use having a baby as an excuse to maybe take it easy sometimes?? I don't know. I know that I wouldn't be able to be a happy mentally/physically/spiritually if I didn't lose my baby weight. Because well...I can be pretty vain. I know that sounds bad, but I am seriously happiest when I am thinner. Oh well, at least I can admit it! :)

Sandy said...

Thanks so much for posting this Ruth. I know that by sharing such honest photos and stories, you help other women (like me) to accept themselves. When the only people showing off their post-pregnancy bodies are those who've had work done, women can set unrealistic standards for themselves. Also? I think that realistic pictures like this are beautiful. Your body (and you in general) is incredible.

naomi said...

Seriously, the skin is something that is easily easily fixed - you have NO FAT LEFT and THAT'S the hard part to fix!

romansmama said...

awesome. i love that you shared this picture! i feel like the only post-baby tummy pictures bloggers share are girls who look like they've never had a baby.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...