Friday, June 10, 2011

13.1 reasons to run

Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn.
time to put on the game face:
My main goals tomorrow:
1. Don't die.
2. Don't hurt myself.
3. Finish it.

My secretly-hoping-but-don't-want-to-get-my-hopes-up goals:
1. Under two hours.
2. Possibly under an hour and 50 minutes.
3. Negative splits.

Running has turned into one of the most rewarding journeys of my life. Even though it is my third half marathon, I still have jitters, feeling like I have been on the injury reserve for far too long to make a good comeback. Mind over matter. We shall see.

Why I'll be running tomorrow:
Mile 1: for awkward, 8th grade me.
still growing into my body mid-puberty and at our class trip to Washington D.C., told by a nasty mean boy I was fat... so i started running. And never looked back.
Mile 2: for Bananas for running with me and getting me to join the track team for a year (so she could kick my trash). And for introducing me to Rachael and Emily.
Mile 3: for my super-awesome and inspiring roommates/workout buddies at BYU: Amax, Keely, Mager, Jasmine.
Mile 4: for Mr. D... who reminded me how much I loved running and supported me through too many races to count.
Mile 5: for Cheri and Rachelle, both of whom have lost people in their lives that I could not imagine losing. They are two of the strongest girls I know.
Mile 6: For Laura and Cassidy. Two of the very best running buddies I have had over the last few years.
Mile 7: For Surah and DK. I want to be the very best example for them of health and happiness so they can follow my lead. :)
Mile 8: For my amazing parents, who raised me to be the kind of person who can handle anything. Especially if that something is conquering 13 miles.
Mile 9: For Bianca, who is almost 31 weeks pregnant with twins. I still remember so vividly that feeling of not being so big and not able to run (or do much of anything), so this mile is purely on her behalf!!!
Mile 10: For all my super sweet blog friends I have "met" this year. You know who you are. Especially ALLIE for sending me the cutest email earlier this week:
Mile 11: For the entire Utah Dowling/Daniels clan, (my incredible extended-family in-laws) for treating me like a daughter the past 5 years.
Mile 12: For Emily and her leg. Because I know if she could, she would be running right alongside me :) Maybe for the marathon?
Mile 13: For Baby D. This journey would not have been complete without him.
Mile .1: Another little bit for Mr. D... because it is his face I desperately scour the crowds for to give me that last push through the finish line. I love him more than I can even describe.


Good luck to everyone running in the Half or Full Marathon tomorrow!!! 
Especially to Sari and Tara, who are running their very first one!!! :)

12 comments:

Have Your Way said...

haha awww I feel so HONORED that you stuck that in your post for today!! Good luck in your race tomorrow Ruth!! I'll be praying for ya :)

Rachelle Wardle said...

Ruth your post made me cry, Like seriously I am still fighting back tears. I have said it before and I will say it again..you are AMAZING! I love all of your reasons and know if you remember them this race will be a breeze.

Looking forward to seeing your smiling face at the end of the marathon will definitely motivate me. You better stick around for me girl! :)

Stefanie D. said...

Ahhhh! I love this!! Seriously so motivating! I am SO SO excited and HONORED to get to run with you tomorrow!! Can't wait to see you!!!!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

so excited for you! i hope you LOVE every mile of it! oh man... i LOVE racing! i am dying that i can't do the full marathon tomorrow like i planned. run fast for me!

Tara Black said...

Thanks for the shout out! You are gonna rock it, girl! Also, be sure and wave at me while I am throwing up on the side of the road. Just kidding. At least I hope that doesn't happen! :) Also, I love baby D's game face. :)

karajean said...

I love this! Good luck tomorrow-- can't wait to read all about it :)

Julia said...

RUTH! you are amazing. You are so ready for this and I am so excited for you!! Go out there and just run strong and confident. I think you got it in you to dominate this course :) I believe in you girl and will be thinking about you lots tomorrow!

Eric and Andrea said...

I will be cheering you on tomorrow from Colorado, especially during mile 3!! I'm so happy for you and your achievements!! Do great!

Muncher Cruncher said...

Girl, good luck!! You are SO SO SO going to rock it tomorrow. I love all your reasons. You are so awesome, and I know you will be GREAT! xoxoxo

Missy said...

Oh I love this! Good luck Ruth! You will do great!

anna. said...

<3

jasmine said...

This post makes me feel so happy. I am without words to describe my feelings towards you... I am so so proud of you. You are AWE-mazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...