Monday, May 02, 2011

finally... a post about running (!)

As I write this, I am breathing a HUGE sigh of relief... my looming half marathon June 11th has been the subject of many a nightmare. I have yet to log more than a 13 mile week in the last month, much less a double digit run. Training has been a struggle over the last few months because of some poor sleeping habits (pointed look in someone little's general direction) and the crappy weather de-motivating me to run. 

Basically, my only goal for this upcoming half marathon (even though I have run two before) is just to FINISH and SURVIVE in one piece. I really wanted to run (my first) marathon this fall, but since our living/work situation is all up in the air and we have NO idea where we will be come fall (or even next month, for that matter), it doesn't make sense to put down $100 for a race I may not even be in-state for.
With that in mind, I have wanted to do the Hobble Creek Half marathon for the last 4 years, but I never registered fast enough (it sold out in 8 hours last year!), so this year (with the green light from Mr. D) I just went ahead and signed up for it this morning!! If the Mr. gets a job elsewhere before then, we can figure things out, but for now August 20th is the big day that I will be attempting a half marathon PR (no pressure) since I will have the WHOLE summer to train, job-free! (and that will leave this UV half with a LOT less pressure to perform!)
Who says I will need a BOB Dualie when I have two kids? Two can easily fit just fine in the single :) We finally got my BOB fixed (the tube was slashed...boo) and while I am still in a panic about running 13.1 miles for the first time, post-baby, I know it is doable.
And to inspire me?? Baby D is my daily inspiration (as is Mr. D, who always thinks I can do more than I ever think I am capable of) as is my wall of inspiration by my bedside, filled with quotes, running images and other running paraphanalia. Last night/this morning was rough (story of my life, right??) but I am determined to get a lunchtime run of at least 6 miles in today.
All bundled up yesterday for our Sunday walk (it took every fiber of my being to not break out into a run!) with the blonde loves of my life.
Fingers crossed for good temperatures (read: lots of running makeup) this week! Also, I am volunteering for the Provo Marathon this weekend... let me know if you are running it and I will be sure to cheer you on as Baby D tosses a cup of Gatorade your way :)

9 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Congrats on signing up for the half! And good luck training this summer!
Such an adorable baby!
:)

Julia said...

yayyyyy! I just registered for the hobble creek half as well and got in by the skin of my teeth. wow. stressful.

we should run together this summer :)

Rachelle Wardle said...

Love the pictures of baby D! He is so cute. I just went to register for Hobble Creek at 9:30a.m. and it was already full so I am glad you got in early. I will definitely be there to support you guys and know you will get a PR that day.

Have a great week! :)

Stefanie D. said...

YAY! So excited for you! Let's just survive the UV Half together, ok?

Muncher Cruncher said...

YAY! You are going to do awesome girlie! No doubt about that. I hope the weather gets better too. It's about time...sheesh. Have a great day :) xoxoxo

Missy said...

Yay! I am getting ready to register for my Half Marathon too, although it's not until October lol

Have Your Way said...

Good luck training! I need to find another race for this summer I just dont know what to sign up for!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

Yay for spring time weather and running outdoors! Baby D, let mama go running! ;)

Hey is so cute bundled up for his outing!

ashley & sundance said...

Yeah for Hobble Creek Half! I've ran it twice... LOVE it!!!!

I really hope that the nice weather stays around! So tired of the snow and rain... and snow and rain! ugh!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...