Thursday, March 17, 2011

Today, I am a quitter.

so i will start off with a really old photo, completely unrelated to this post:

I quit my job today. Meaning, of course, that I will finish out this school year and not come back next year. It was something that has been in the works for a while. I still have mixed emotions blogging about it, so maybe I'll share more about it later, but I really do feel like I am doing the right thing. Baby needs his mama, right?

I also quit pumping. If you want to know how I feel at this very moment, just imagine wearing water balloons on your chest. Now imagine them under your skin, and instead of water they are filled with lead the heaviest thing you can possibly imagine (Steel?). Awesome feeling, right? Now pile onto that about 4 months worth of guilt from giving your child formula instead of what you are "supposed" to be giving him.Mr. D and I (okay, just Mr. D) calculated how much money we have saved over the last 8 months of not having to buy formula, even though we purchased a $350 pump. Guess how much??? $1,400! I couldn't believe it. So for my friends who are just nursing... if you've done that for at least 8 months, you just saved your family over $1,700. Go tell your hubby that and use it as an excuse to buy something awesome. Definitely my motivation to try and nurse all my kids in the future.

And you know what? I don't want you to feel bad for me because even though I may be a quitter in two aspects of my life, they are not the most important things.

I am okay with being a quitter because less time doing those two things means more time doing the things I want most in life at this time:

being a better wife, mother, and runner. In that order.

Being a quitter is not that bad.
As long as you don't quit the most important things. :)

5 comments:

naomi said...

This is great! Plus, baby is just starting to get old enough to know what's up and cause trouble so it's good you'll be around to keep him on track! I'm so pleased for you. Working and babying sounded insane to me to be honest, props to you for doing it for so long. So great. Also, you've nursed baby D for a long time, enough for him to get all the antibodies and stuff. Well done! Also, nice new blog look. I've not been on the internet much since we left for florida, so it was fun seeing this

Merrick said...

I just decided yesterday to wean myself off of pumping. I have had too many problems/cracking/bleeding into my milk/etc, and I finally broke down yesterday and decided I'm done. So I feel your pain, and your guilt!

But good for you for focusing on what is most important.

A Little Sass said...

I am heart broken. I knew it was coming ... that I couldn't have you forever. It won't be the same without you and it will be very hard .. if not impossible to replace you.

Cheri said...

Ruth,

You gotta go what you gotta do. Hopefully this means you guys will come back where you belong...the east! I have no motherly advice other than I heard it is hard. My only advice is to always keep up your teaching license. You never know when you will need it again!

Rachael said...

Ruth, I wrote you an awesome comment yesterday and it said that it was sent, but my guess is that it did not send.

The basic idea of the post was this, you are not a quitter. You are simply transitioning from one phase to another. There is nothing wrong with that. Also, if these choices are the ones that will make you the most happy in life, then make them. I'm still at DB instead of teaching because I am happy with what I do. I am excited for you and hope that you are excited for you too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...