Thursday, January 13, 2011

These are my confessions.

I was bemoaning my stressed out state earlier this morning as I groggily snoozed the alarm a fourth (fifth?) time and rushed over to Baby D to feed him and then get myself ready for the schoolday for another workoutless morning. Thanks to a family-shared cold (thank you, Delta Air) this has NOT been the January I expected, and my resolutions have never seemed farther from my grasp.

Well, until I came across this article from Oprah's magazine.
Bob Greene had written a brilliant article about getting moving, and had even included a three-step plan that absolutely inspired me. Simple, but to the point.

Step 1: The Why List. There are 10 reasons listed, and you are instructed to pick at least one. As Bob says, Until you have a reason to be physically active—a reason that matters, and matters deeply—then you are not going to stick with exercise.
It is SO true! Here are the ones I picked as my favs, in order of (what I consider) importance...
4. You're always annoyed and sapped of energy. (can I get an "amen!")
10. You love your kids.
3. You want to look better. (and feel better!)
8. You don't sleep well. 
7. You have a bad back. 
2. You want to lose weight and keep it off. (mostly the latter)

Step 2: Scrap the Excuses. My two dominant ones? "I am too tired" and "I am too busy."
Like I tell my students, no excuse is a good excuse.

Step 3: Set your goals.
1. What is my exercise goal? Set an objective you can achieve—nothing overly ambitious. 
I am going to work out 30 minutes a day, first thing in the morning, before .

2. What's the most positive outcome of achieving this goal? This is crucial. Think back to the reasons you chose to exercise.
I am going to do this so that I can have more energy throughout my busy day, feel better about myself, and keep myself in shape.

3. What's the main obstacle standing in the way? 
I am too busy and usually don't have the energy/am too lazy to lose sleep over working out.

4. How can I overcome the obstacle? Give details about the changes you're going to make. 
The night before, I can set out my workout clothes and ipod and get to bed by 9, so I can wake up 30 minutes earlier. 

5. How should I achieve my goal? This means focusing on the when and where. 
Between 5:45 and 6:15 in the morning, before I get ready for the day, I'll go to the gym (I know, I'm a freak... I love love love going to the gym).
So I've posted this Bob Greene article on the wall next to my bed, along with a copy of my Resolutions and some inspiring pictures (hello, Jillian Michaels abs!...ha, someday). I know I'm a nerd but I need a constant reminder that I will (for sure) see daily. And I needed a way to make sure I stuck with my (most important) re-resolution. What better way than to see it in print, and make myself (officially) accountable to the two (three? including my mom and sisters) readers I have.

So what do you say? Are you ready to take the plunge with me, in the middle of the most resoluting-ist month of the year and (re-)resolve to make yourself a better person in some way?? Lets do this!!

2 comments:

anna. said...

loooove the woody buzz bib ( :

Mandy said...

Ah I needed this post! Love your ideas Ruth :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...