Tuesday, November 16, 2010

WIGF Day 21: The Human Body

We are all capable of doing things that are (we think) far beyond what we would be inclined to attempt.

Before I was pregnant, people told me I was skinny only because I had a "natural metabolism" (probably because they had no idea that I spent 1 to 2 hours A DAY in the gym and watched what I ate)... and that would soon change once I had a baby and my body would never be the same again.

Nearly 4 months ago I had a baby via c-section. Sure, in the immediate after shock I mourned my "old" body, as I felt the critics were right, and I would never be or feel the same again... then again, I also thought it was so traumatic that I would never want to try and have kids again. While that feeling has passed, it is replaced with the thought that, given a few years to recover, I would absolutely do it all again, because it was completely worth it.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, it has not been an easy road by any means. 5am workouts are not always my idea of fun, especially while I would rather be sleeping an extra hour. But I do it because if there's anything I've learned about having a kid, its that you have got to make time for yourself. I am so very close to my goals I can almost see that scale stopping at my oh-so-coveted pre-baby number. And just this morning as I was running past every other person on the track (its a pride thing, I guess), I marveled at the human body, my human body. I'm back to doing things I haven't done in a year. And it feels pretty darn good.

I know enough people to know it is not having babies that makes you overweight (permanently, at least). I know plenty of people who have had multiple kids and are in the best shape of their lives! I guess what I am getting at, is you are only going to get somewhere if you work hard enough. I know there are exceptions and underlying problems others aren't aware of and all that, but I think as a general population, we need to get off our lazy butts and
stop making excuses for ourselves.

Count your blessings for owning such an amazing machine we call the human body, that functions perfectly by design despite the poor care some of us give it. We are capable of anything we put our mind to.

Speaking of which, I am setting my sights for Marathon #1 in St. George on October 1, 2011. If I'm lucky, this guy will be there to cheer me on....
And Mr. D? I don't think his attendance will even be in question. He's watched enough of my races and been waiting for me to finally do this for too long to miss it. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...