Tuesday, September 14, 2010

shots shots shots

After hearing that Baby D held his breath after his first shot (Hep B?) within the first few minutes/hours of birth, I didn't know what to think. I am planning on having him vaccinated, since Drew and I both were, and it just makes sense to me after all the research I've done (and no, I do not think that vaccinations breed Autism, since that finding was based on one finding that was later debunked, but that is an entirely different soapbox altogether). But after discussing it with some co-workers, I found this little modified Shots Schedule, listed from the most important to the ones that can wait, and I already have it printed out and put on file for his appointment on Friday. Sure, it will be a lot more visits and will take him 3 and 1/2 years instead of the usual one year, but it just doesn't make sense for me to give that little body so many shots since if he is allergic to one and gets six, how can we really know which one he has the reaction to?? If there's one thing I've learned since being pregnant, it's that I can get all the advice people throw at me, but every baby (and mommy!) is different and it's important (for me) to do my own research and come up with my own conclusions instead of just going "by the book" or off of someone else's opinion.
With that said, I have started running this week. [Pause for collective gasp]. I use the term "running" loosely, since they are paced at a 15 minute mile (yeesh) BUT BUT BUT over the course of brisk walking an hour, I include about 9-12 minutes of "running" and so far have felt great. It is crazy to think I haven't run in about 7 months (which I do need to keep reminding myself of that!), but I do have a 5k coming up in just over 3 weeks, and I would really like to run/jog/shuffle for at least half of it if I can, although the only REAL goal I have allowed myself to have for this race is to finish in under an hour (it's technically 3.5 miles). I have been a little gym rat on the treadmill as often as Baby D will let me (usually about 20-40 minutes), and since the weather is still nice we are walking/strollering to the gym and back, which seems to calm him down if he does get fussy.

It's quite odd to go from going to the gym and doing whatever I want for any length that I wanted to (which I reveled in, by the way) and now I am constantly having to take mini breaks to feed/soothe/check on Baby D, never really knowing how long of a workout he will allow me. I haven't even started lifting weights (which I am DYING to do, by the way) since I want to adjust my body to running before I start lifting again...probably next month. I miss feeling strong, I miss having the strength of my abs supporting my spine, and slowly but surely I am getting that feeling back again. It is such a good feeling. Now if only I could figure out a way to make it to the gym's pilates class....

1 comment:

Emily Rebecca Jacobs said...

Most vaccinations contain mercury. Mercury poisoning literally eats away your brain by causing brain neuron degeneration. Autism (as well as many other disorders like alzheimers & dementia) are neurological disorders, caused by neuron degeneration. That's why they are linked. In one day most infants can receive 11x the toxic level of mercury just through having a few shots. Yes, they are safer now than say, 10 years ago, but I would still be cautious. Vaccinations ( & medicine in general) are a highly profitable business...that's why one should always see who has funded what research. Most of the time I find that studies in favor of vaccinations, are produced from the very companies that make them
:(

But, what can you do? We (arguably) need them...so overall the best option is to do exactly what you're doing. SPREAD them out!
Thank goodness you're a mommy who cares to look into it, & do your own research :)

I'm afraid to have babies. So many tough decisions :/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...