Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mother: Someone that gives rise to or exercises protecting care over something else

As I was fixing my hair this morning, I remembered what I was doing on Mother's day last year. I thought I had blogged about it, but I guess I forgot to. I went for an hour-long run that morning, and it felt so good. It was such a scary-uncertain place that Mr. D and I were in, with the both of us on the lookout for jobs and some sort of direction in our lives.... running was the only thing that made sense to me in May 2009. And I remember thinking that when I was a mother, I wouldn't necessarily want flowers or chocolates. What I would really like is the time for a nice long guilt-free run on a beautiful day. It was hard not to think about that as we drove to church this morning, but I resolved to make it happen next year...with my jogging stroller and little D in tow, of course! My last run was the start of February of this year, before I ballooned so big that my body just couldn't handle moving around all that extra weight. :) But as I keep saying, if this pregnancy has taught me anything at all, it is the importance of patience. Even as we are down 30 weeks, 3/4 of the way "there," I am so grateful for all of the changes my body has been making to encourage me to think about how much will change this summer.

I know there are a lot of ladies out there who will never have the chance to give birth to a child, and a lot of girls who have to raise their children without the help of the baby daddy... I am humbled to be so lucky, especially when sometimes I probably complain so much that I don't deserve any of this. But I have been so blessed by so many amazing women in my life that have made me the kind of person I am today... it saddens me to think that after all some of them have done, Mother's Day is the only day they receive the kind of recognition they deserve. Every Mother's Day I re-resolve myself to take advantage of letting those wonderful women know how much they mean to me, year-round, and to never resort to just giving them that attention one day a year.


So, to those lovely, spectacular women [mom, mother-in-law, friends, aunts, cousins, colleagues, sisters, grandmas, aunt/cousin-in-laws] in my life (and you know who you are), thank you for continuing to be my shining example(s). Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...