Monday, April 19, 2010

There are so many things I can teach in my classes. Its almost overwhelming, but in a good way, if that makes sense. Between painting, sculpture, and art foundations, I can pretty much cover anything and everything that I can manage to fit in a term or semester. Unfortunately, a lot of those things have been not explained well enough, poorly executed, or just BAD ideas on my part. I suppose that is one of the greatest reasons why I have such a strong desire to continue teaching after this year... I continue to refine and revise what I am having my students think about and create, getting discouraged (but only for a short time!) at the projects that fail miserably and feeling the thrill of excitement emanating from my students when they really "get" a new project, or especially when a-project-that-had-previously-failed-miserably-and-I-swore-off-but-then-changed-a-few-things-and-the-students-are-just-running-with-it (in a good way, of course).

My inspiration for said assignment? This American Artist named Mark Jenkins, does tape figures, dresses them up in everyday clothing (and a redhead wig, in these examples) and then utilizes them as public art. Needless to say, my students are so excited. I can't wait for DK to come to my class on Thursday and see it all in action.

1 comment:

skroner said...

ahahaha i've seen those!!! (: love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...