Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Doctor's Visit #5

THIRTY. POUNDS.
[[From Doctor]] "Well, the average for women to gain in their entire pregnancy is between 25-35 pounds... but I think you'll be gaining a little above average. But don't worry about it, its just a number."


Riiiight.

That was right before he told me they don't/won't induce labor until the 41st week of pregnancy. I mean, I am all about having this boy when he's all set and ready, but when he (inevitably) comes tearing through me at like 10+ pounds, you'll know where my finger of blame will be pointing. But, you know, 10 is just a number.

If you had told me to guess how much I would gain this whole pregnancy, I would have said 20 pounds, maybe 25. Have I mentioned yet how uncomfortable that much weight is to carry??

Needless to say, as uncomfortable as I am, the thought of going into labor still scares me...call it ignorance but I really try not to think about it too much. I know it will happen and I know it will probably hurt. And I feel like maybe that's all I really care to know about right now. Maybe once I get up to 40 pounds and there's nowhere for my stomach to go but to assimilate into my lungs, maybe then labor won't seem so bad.

Don't get me wrong, I know I am blessed to be able to carry a child, and it fills my whole being with happiness when I can feel him moving around and know that he is OK. I just can't believe I still have three months to go....

are all pregnancies this long??

5 comments:

Kana said...

Wooooooow.... you do still have 3 more months to go!!! You do have a quite big boy ;) hehehe maybe twins?!?! um...
Take care!!!!!!!

Laura said...

haha ruth, you are hilarious. Love you. and you look incredible! See you in about 7 days!

Stina said...

Yes! They are ALL LONG! But then once it's over you look back and see...that's it? it only took THAT long to make this AMAZING little boy inside me!!

As a marathon runner I think labor will NOT be that hard for you :-) I always describe it as being like a marathon. Sure there discomfort...but your body was made to do it...just like it was made to run and walk...but sometimes running still hurts...
You'll do great! And he'll be healthy and whatever happens...you'll heal :)
That's the second most amazing thing about it all...
1st you make this amazing baby!
2nd your body somehow manages to move back to its original size and heal itself!
Did you know that by the end of the fifth day after your pregnancy your uterus is already almost back to it's normal size!!!! CRAZY!!!!!

Luv you! Excited to see you tomorrow!

Merrick said...

Those last few months of pregnancy (mostly the last weeks), get really long because you're so anxious to see your baby! Don't worry...he'll be out soon enough. Just keep yourself occupied. I made huge lists of things to do and just plowed through them to keep myself happy.

Also, I was pretty terrified of labor, and yes it does hurt. I got an epidural and have to say it was the best decision I've ever made in my entire life. I'm in total awe of people who want to and then actually do have natural labor. If you want a few more details, you can email me :) it's all fresh in my memory!

Mandy said...

I took the 6 month route, but I would strongly advise you to keep that kid in as long as possible. It's better to have a 10 pounder than a 1 pounder :)
PS. You look awesome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...