Thursday, January 21, 2010

don't look at this unless you want to see a drawing of my insides

I was just talking to a student today who asked how I was feeling and while I was complaining about my sore back from my newfound "front-heaviness," I paused when said student said, "Wow. That is so cool that you are having a baby growing inside you right now."
You know what? That student is right. Sure, it may be (quite a bit of) discomfort for a few short months, but I am creating a living, breathing, moving being inside of me. And I don't even have to do anything for it to happen...it just does.
I took health classes in high school and even college, but for some reason the whole "Miracle of Life" thing never really hit home. Maybe because it all seemed a little too sci-fi to fully comprehend. But I cannot tell you how with every book and article I read, I am continually more and more amazed at how fascinating the human body is. Some days, I think I should be a health teacher. Then I remember all the chemistry and biology and math involved to teach health and thank heaven that I teach art. But that doesn't mean that at least for the next 6 months, there is something slightly more compelling and wonderful to me than art to dream, read and think about....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...