Wednesday, October 07, 2009

the bleeding disaster that is...pumpkin carving

Let me premise this post by saying that everyone is FINE. I am fine, my students are fine, we are all just a bit klutzy/uncoordinated/whathaveyou... yeah you heard that right. blood. in my classroom, on my own fingers even. with only 28 students i thought we could manage carving 30ish pumpkins for our friends at widley farms. i thought wrong. my classroom is still by some miracle actually clean, but i had at least 15 students cut themselves whilst carving in the last hour. so i am completely rethinking pumpkin carving with pearing knives. hint: DONT DO IT. Also, of all the crappy carving tools I got from Target (shakes fist angrily) only about 7 remain. out of dozens. i cant believe i was so concerned about how messy my classroom would get, when really i should have been concerned about how easily my students could have/did hurt themselves. I feel like a TERRIBLE parent. and teacher. guess what? Stained glass just got eliminated from my curriculum today. i cant take all the bandaging. what am i, a school nurse?? In a related story.... I went to the school nurse because i bled through the bandage on my middle finger (of course), asked the nurse for some more bandages and she said, clear as a bell, "Someone needs to tell that art teacher to stop carving pumpkins... too many people are getting hurt." !!!!! "Um, I AM that teacher." (Awkward silence) "And I know we need to stop carving." (more awkward silence) "O-ok, I'm going to get back to my class... make sure no one else has cut themselves." "Well, Mrs. D, just so you know, if your finger doesn't stop bleeding, you're going to need A STITCH." The only thing I hate more than the sight of blood is the thought of stitches.

2 comments:

anna. said...

live and learn.

( :

sounds like an exciting day, overall, if nothing else...

skroner said...

ahahaha this post just made my night.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...