Thursday, September 03, 2009

REALLY?!?!

At my school district, they have a VERY strict cell phone policy (Actually, most policies are very strict here...). And that policy is that if a student is caught in class with a cell phone, it may be immediately confiscated by the teacher at anytime. The first time, the student must pick up the phone from the principal. The second time, they can only pick up their phone with their parent or guardian present. Third time? Suspension. And this is LIFETIME accumulation at the high school (that's three years!). This policy is CRAZY drilled into these kids heads and is something that I made sure every knew was a strictly enforced policy in my class... three strikes and you're out. LITERALLY. So a student in my last class was TALKING on her cell phone, with 20 minutes left in class, and the school day. TALKING, people. I can't even remember how many times I've taken away phones from a texter, but TALKING?!?! REALLY?!?! Its only two weeks into school, and you've already broken the cardinal rule at the school? REALLY?!?! Oh, and of course, I put out my hand and say, "You know the policy. Say goodbye to your friend and give me your phone." SHOCKED, she looks at me completely dismayed and says "But I have all my work done!" REALLY. Of course I took her phone. And of course she hassled me all the way to the principal's office. She will probably try the rest of the semester to ruin my class for taking her phone. But you know what? That was entirely her fault. If you don't talk on your phone in class, you have a 100% chance of me NOT taking it from you. REALLY.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Way to be firm Ruth! I know that is tough, but it sounds like you did an awesome job!

Cheri said...

Nice!!!! What an idiot to think she could talk on her cell phone in class!!!!

Laura said...

girls are stupid. and by the way... your days til race currently says ONE. ruth i would be there to cheer you on but my family leaves that day :( BEST OF LUCK!!

anna. said...

wow. just...wow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...