Thursday, July 02, 2009

If you want to know why I run....

...Go watch this movie. Yesterday while painting, I watched (listened to) a documentary I had recorded awhile back, called Spirit of the Marathon.


"Spirit of the Marathon is the first ever non-fiction feature film to capture the drama and essence of the famed 26.2 mile running event. Filmed on four continents, the movie brings together a diverse cast of amateur athletes and marathon luminaries.


As six unique stories unfold, each runner prepares for and ultimately faces the challenge of the Chicago Marathon. More than a sports movie, Spirit of the Marathon is an inspirational journey of perseverance and personal triumph; a spectacle that will be embraced by runners and non-runners alike."

The funniest part of this movie is when it documents women being banned from running for a time, because it was thought that if a woman ran too hard or for too long, her uterus would fall out!!! Hysterical!

It is an amazing story. I would be amiss if I said I did not cry through most of it, and at the end felt like running those 26.2 miles right then and there!! Thankfully, I didn't, since I have yet to run more than 13.1 miles, but come Sunday June 6th, 2010 at 6:30 am in San Diego, California, I will be well on my way to completing my very first marathon, and a rock and roll marathon, complete with 45 live bands! I can't think of a better way to celebrate the completion of my first year of teaching. And, of course, to place the first marker on my road to (making a 3 hour 40 minute marathon before I turn 35 and can qualify for) Boston.

1 comment:

siovhan said...

this made me think of you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eXqAWjJ_dE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...