Tuesday, May 05, 2009

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" -Albert Einstein

As part of my "Artist Summer School" self-designated research, I have been reading This Book.
James Christensen (a former BYU visual arts professor) spoke in one of my classes a few years ago about his work. I had never heard of him before, but after reading some of his writings on the imagination and seeing his art, it resonated with me. As one who is struggling to find her artistic voice in this noisy world, there are certain aspects of his art that I hope to include in my work as well. For example, in his book, he says,
"When I paint, I want people to participate. I want to share something of my own life and ideals, but I want people to bring to the viewing of my artwork all their varied and unique life experiences, too. For me, the art process is not complete without the viewer...
"When people tell me, 'I don't have any imagination,' I want to grab them by the shoulders and shake them and say, 'Yes, you do! Get out there. Learn some things, pay attention, make connections, think about ideas. Watch the world around you. Stay curious. Make yourself a new thought every day until your brain starts doing it on its own."
Never heard of him?? Read this. My secret hope is to someday inspire, through my creations, a small part of what he has. Seriously, its just a short article: Read it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...