Tuesday, May 05, 2009

I have recently realized, that in over 250 posts I have made on this blog, rarely if ever do I speak about my religion. It is not because I am ashamed of it, it is because some experiences are too personal and too sacred to talk about. Thankfully, this is not one of those times.
Mr. D and I are going through a bit of an uncertain time right now. We are walking on eggshells, it would seem, in trying to find a full-time job for him. If he gets a job, I want to be ready to move as soon as he desires. So I have, for the moment, taken to putting a pause on my plans, continuing instead to keep house, work on my art, run, and of course, read.
In my reading this afternoon, as I was searching for something to calm myself down from the anxiety I have been feeling today. In the 16th chapter of Nephi (the first book in the Book of Mormon), there is a family wandering in the wilderness, as they had to leave their home because their town was going to be destroyed. They happen upon a ball sent from God, sort of a compass-thing, called the Liahona, and the father of this company decides they will follow it to get to their destination... a "promised land" that they really have no exact location for. The children complain, their wives complain, even the parents (who are leading the bunch!) occasionally complain, but they are continually humbled by the Lord and told that He knows where they are going, and they needed to have faith that He would take them there, in due time. They wandered for years in this wilderness, following the Lord's Liahona, knowing that they would eventually end up at their new home in a promised land prepared for them.
I must have heard this story about a couple hundred times in my young life. But never before have I felt such a strong connection to this family, because I have recently realized that my situation parallels that of this wandering family. Mr. D and I are being led somewhere, and even though for the past couple years it has required us to stay in Utah (much to the begrudging of Mr. D, and at times, myself), there is a reason for it, and we are guided by His hand. While our Liahona may not have a physical manifestation, we do not know where we are going, because we don't really know where we are supposed to go. But if I have learned anything in the past year, it is that we can only be in control of so few things. The rest is up to... well, some may say coincidence, fate, or what have you. But I believe in a higher being, and in a destiny that we are set to fulfill that only he truly comprehends.
Through all of this craziness we call life, I know one thing for certain: I belong to the only true Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Everything else will fall into place, come what may.
I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Merrick said...

Always a scary position to be in, but you have a great attitude about it all. Good luck with everything.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...