Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bad Karma

I guess there is a first time for everything.
I came out of Yoga class with L this morning to this three page note on my dashboard. I was frightened at first (what with all the smilie faces and extreme sarcasm in the notes), and then I just had to laugh. L and I looked on both sides to see that my car was indeed inside the lines. Granted, a little close to the line, but I have certainly experienced my fair share of squeezing into my car at the gym because lets be honest, everyone is usually rushing to the gym and that parking lot has some of the most laughable parking jobs I have ever seen...mostly covering 2 (but sometimes 3!) parking spaces. And then I felt a mixture of sadness and relief...

Sadness for this poor girl (because only a girl would write a note like this) who was really offended by my parking job. That probably wasn't the only "terrible" thing to happen to her that day, but it must have been the straw that broke the donkey's back. I felt sad for her because maybe she has no one that loves her. Maybe she is struggling in school or in a job she doesn't like. My mind kept wandering...

So I hope she found peace in writing that note. And I am grateful that I was the recipient of the note, because I could shrug it off and not get offended, whereas someone else may have been devastated or even angry. I am grateful that I could be the one to put an end to this bad karma. Who knows? I wonder if she leaves angry notes often? I wonder if she would have left the note if she knew me? I wonder if she would have resisted leaving a note if it was over Christmas break? I wonder if she has ever had a note left on her dash like that before? 

That is something I love about learning, and art in particular. Especially in studying aesthetics and criticism, I have been pushed to question things, to try to see problems from a hundred different angles. And I am proud to say that I have started applying that concept to my life. Like eliminating bad karma... and that is why I Yoga!

2 comments:

anna. said...

that is the funniest thing ever. omg.

Mandy said...

HA! That was the nicest note I've ever seen. Had you been at a gym here they would have scratched some choice words into your paint! Only in Utah...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...