Thursday, May 15, 2008

"Weight is not the problem, it is just a symptom of a greater problem"

...at least that is what Drew's grandpa believes. And the more that I think about it, the truer it seems. I have been thinking a lot about the "globesity" problem plaguing the world around me, mostly due to the fact that I am reading "Perfect Weight America" while working out at 24 Hour which is good because it reinforces what I am doing into a multi-sensory thing. Also, I would just like to say how grateful I am for my body. Our bodies can do such wonderful things when we take good care of them and use them to their full advantage. The reason for this sudden spur of realization is that in leaving the gym the other day, I noticed an older man doing exercises in his wheelchair, and it was pretty obvious he couldn't get around without it. It made me a little emotional, with the man reminding me of my grandpa who passed away when I was in high school, having spent the last few years of his life in a wheelchair. I wanted to run up to him and give him a hug, because I could sense the pain of his heart and it hurt so much. I love my legs. I love that they allow me to exercise because some days that is one of my few constants that really keep me sane and happy. I love my hands. I have been blessed with such an amazing creative ability and I sincerely hope that as long as I am allowed to inhabit this mortal body, I can really take advantage of my days on this earth and not waste any time. Prioritize and be productive. That is my mid-year resolution of 2008. Also, I had a good talk with Drew's grandpa yesterday. It still amazes me how much joy he gets from helping others and how hard he is working to make other people's lives more full. I think he is doing a wonderful job at loving people and he is really filling the void of passion that left him (I assume, since I did not really know him beforehand) by his deceased wife. I like to think that everything has its time and its reason, and I am so grateful for being able to be a listening ear to him (since I get so much out of it as well!) and develop this relationship at just the right time that is so essential to my progress and his. I really feel like we both take away very important things that benefit us individually in our personal pursuits (me with my artmaking and he with his brain theory development). It makes me feel good that I can connect with him in a way that he cannot connect with the grandchildren (the boys) because I can fill that void when Drew's mom is not readily available as a listening ear to give instant feedback. I love that feeling, that my opinion matters, especially to someone so established and intellectual as him. I really hope that he can help the people he is reaching out to, especially mom. He has so much to offer her that does not rely on medicine, and I really think that natural intervention is the way to go, especially this idea about tapping into the brainwave frequency. I wish I understood it better, but I really think it has the potential to work. I have told Drew's grandpa he needs to write a weight-loss book with all of his research (especially the idea that it is 5-tiered: [oops I already forgot the first one], natural supplements, brainwaves/psychological, diet and exercise) and publish it, because he could really influence a lot of people and the need for that kind of information is at an all-time high. Anyways, basketball season is still looming (go Celtics!) and between that, school, and (soon) work I am too busy to write any more. Until later.... <3

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...